- use the alternate install disk to install Lucid using the text installer
- after installation, hit shift during boot to get to the grub screen
- change 'quiet splash' to 'nosplash nomodeset' on line that starts with 'linux'
- crtl-x to continue booting
- log into your account and activate the hardware drivers
- edit edit /etc/default/grub so that GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT is set to 'nosplash nomodeset'
- sudo update-grub
Monday, May 10, 2010
How can I install Lucid Lynx (Ubuntu 10.04) on my HP EliteBook 8440p?
I finally figured out how to install Lucid on my work laptop, an HP EliteBook 8440p. This primary issue is that the nVidia NVS 3100M video card doesn't play well with Lucid out of the box. You have to take a few extra steps to get it working. I followed the steps found on Linux Laptop Wiki and summarize them here.