Search This Blog

Saturday, March 13, 2010

How do I upgrade the RAM in my Acer Aspire Revo?

I finally got around to throwing in another 1GB stick of RAM into the machine I've be using as my media center.  The scariest part was trying to figure out how to crack open the case without breaking anything.  Luckily, netbooked on YouTube has posted a video on how to open the thing up.  Once you know the secret, it is pretty simple.  I cracked open the case to see exactly what type of RAM was already installed and then ordered a similar stick from Crucial.  The Revo can take up to 4 GB of RAM but that means throwing away the existing stick and spending more money than I wanted.  Adding the 1GB stick only cost me $25 USD so despite the fact that some people are of the opinion that the extra RAM is a waste of money, I went ahead and did it anyway.  With the additional RAM I was able to dedicate 512 MB to the video card.  I haven't played with the system enough to know if video performance has improved any but I'll report any findings I may have in a future post.  All in all, the upgrade was inexpensive and painless.

No comments:

Post a Comment